Tuesday 6 August 2013

Easy Peasy Banana Bread

Now even though this is called Banana Bread, what this actually is, is a light and tasty cake.

This all started because I was chatting to a friend while playing WoW, and she said she was going to bake a cake. I said I couldn't because I had no eggs. So she said you could make a cake without eggs, using bananas, yogurt or even mayonaise!

So I had a look on the internet and came across quite a few different recipes and decided to have a go at one using bananas.

Ingredients
135g sugar
70g fat e.g. butter or Stork
250g Self Raising Flour
1/4 teasp salt
3 mashed, ripe bananas
1 teasp vanilla extract
4-5 tablespoons of milk or water

The recipe I have adapted did originally have extra baking powder in it, but as I didn't have any (and I don't like using it as I can always taste it) I missed it out, and the result was still fab.

Pre-heat the oven to 180

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.

Now this part is quite magical and astonishing. I had not pre-mashed the bananas, which the recipe said to do. Being an impatient soul I just bunged everything apart from the milk straight in a bowl and started mixing. It was a bit hard going at first, mashing the bananas and fat into the flour and sugar, but then all of a sudden the whole thing combined and turned into something that looked like a semi- liquid cake mixture.

Graham and I regarded this with awe. Then added the vanilla and milk, mixed it in and put the whole lot in a floured loaf tin.

I spread it out roughly flat and popped it into the oven and set the timer for 45 mins

45 mins later..... Voila!


According to the recipe this could be used to make cup cakes or muffins instead, and it does have a muffin texture. I'm guessing if you made muffins the cooking time would be around 20 mins - it usually is when I make buns (cup cakes)
Another recipe said you could add 4oz or 100g dark chocolate chips to the mix.

The only thing I would say is - you do have to like the taste of bananas

I think we shall try a yogurt cake next time

No comments:

Post a Comment