Friday 25 August 2017

Solitary Confinement

I love the Radio Times, it is the only magazine I subscribe to, and I look forward to reading it from cover to cover.
     I love the way it draws my attention to programmes I would not necessarily have looked at. And this time it is a programme on Solitary Confinement, in which several people are locked away, with no stimulus for five days. They are allowed to take three personal items with them (although I'd imagine that a phone and laptop would not be allowed!).
     The introduction says that one person only managed five hours before demanding to be let out.
     That got me thinking about how well I would manage in those circumstances, and what I would take in with me.
     Pen and paper are an obvious choice, but what would the third item be? I don't think you would be allowed a book, but if you were then five days of nothing would be the ideal time to plough through The Lord of the Rings.
     Sorry folks, that is the one Tolkein book that didn't grab me. Loved The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings I found to be disjointed. I'd just get engrossed in following a character and whoops, the next bit was about someone or somewhere I'd never heard of - and great chunks of it I just found boring.
     But anyway, back to solitary.
     I wonder if they'd let you have a tin of biscuits as your third item? ..... mmmmm biscuits .....
     Try and keep to the point: how would I cope with solitary confinement?
     Some people never spend any time alone, and especially these days when most people are constantly connected with mobile phones and pc's. I know there are those who find it impossible to be without their phones, let alone having no other contact with other humans.
     Working from home though, now that does prepare you for solitary confinement!
     Although Graham and I work together, we are often doing different things in different rooms, so we may not see each other, let alone speak, for several hours at a time. And there have been times when I have spoken to no-one but Graham for the best part of a week.
     I think as you get older, perhaps your life gets more solitary too. Our son has his own home and family, so we may get to see him once a week. Friends move away, or find a new interest, or even die.
     I am not being morbid, merely realistic.
     Oh, and don't feel sorry for me. I have always enjoyed periods of solitude. My hell is dealing with large numbers of people.
     To be honest, a period of time in solitary confinement sounds both restful and refreshing to me.
     Often I am so busy with the routine of living and working, that I don't have time to be creative. And I love giving my imagination free reign.
     What luxury to have five whole days of peace and quiet with a note pad and pen.
     I wonder if they are looking for volunteers for another go?
     Where do I sign up?



No comments:

Post a Comment